DIGITAL MARKETING MATURITY MATRIX TEMPLATE
Accurately identify your business’ current and desired level of Digital Marketing maturity
Understand the 37 individual success criteria which leads to Digital Marketing excellence
Score your business' capabilities across everything from team structure and website, to budgeting and marketing channels
Create a roadmap which prioritises focus areas required to achieve goals
WHAT IS DIGITAL MARKETING MATURITY?
Maturity models aren’t anything new. Usually the domain of management consultants, they offer a framework for measuring an organisation’s abilities within a particular area, and the interventions needed to make quality improvements.
Maturity models typically assess people, processes, technology, the leadership view, investment and operational tactics – ours does just that across the entire Digital Marketing spectrum.
WHY DOES MATURITY MODELLING MATTER?
Every business has their own strengths and weaknesses across numerous areas. Because of this, not every business will need a peak level of Digital Marketing maturity to achieve success.
The value in our model is in creating a clear roadmap for activity, investment and change – it signposts which improvements should be made and when. It prioritises strong foundations, achieving maximum performance from Digital Marketing activity as your business scales.
A managed and measured approach like this is crucial. Rush to graduate towards higher levels of activity in certain areas without a strong base of operational maturity can create confusion, hindering your business’ ability to capitalise on strong performance.
Our tool takes a holistic view of channel activity to ensure that activities are coordinated in line with the business’ ultimate strategic view.
HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT YOUR BUSINESS?
Digital Marketing can be a complex beast – with so many tools, tactics, touchpoints and metrics available, it’s difficult – even for seasoned leadership teams – to understand which levers they should pull to deliver success against company objectives and KPIs as they relate to the organisation’s outlook.
To bring order to this process, and drawing on our experience working on Digital Marketing briefs for over 110 clients in our agency history, we’ve created a methodology for businesses to achieve strategic and operational excellence in Digital Marketing and unlock commercial growth.
The result is our Digital Marketing Maturity Matrix. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the key tenets of our model, so you can understand:
Your business’ current and desired level of Digital Marketing maturity.
The areas of transformation your business should prioritise to reach its goals.
The individual interventions and changes required to reach the desired outcome.
WHAT ARE THE STAGES OF DIGITAL MARKETING MATURITY?
With 15 years’ experience of guiding organisations from a range of industries through the Digital Marketing growth curve, we’ve been able to identify and categorise the features and attributes these organisations typically exhibit at different levels of maturity.
In our model, we refer to these as Key Maturity Stages. These are:
1. Mobilising – The beginning of a business’ Digital Marketing transformation journey. There’s a degree of activity, but objectives, channels, tools and data are yet to be defined.
2. Emerging – The business has some strong Digital Marketing foundations in place and is beginning to build out tactical goals and activity so they can work towards key areas of change.
3. Competitive – With a meaningful presence in the market through Digital Marketing, the business is utilising channel activity in an increasingly joined up way to achieve its goals, rapidly connecting Digital to broader commercial strategy and translating investment to growth...
4. Leading – With strong performance and an integrated strategy aligned with organisational goals and commercial modelling, the business is growing in the market – refining its activity and systems, and introducing new interventions.
5. Optimal – Digital Marketing is a core feature of the business’ growth strategy and is aligned with commercial strategy at a high level. It is an adaptive industry leader from a Digital Marketing perspective which competitors aspire to.